Since 2013, the ISN has been sending some of the successful Clinical Research Program applicants to an annual Scientific Writing Academy. This academy provided them with 5 days of intensive tutored support to enhance their writing skills in relation to a wide range of research areas. Until 2016, the ISN funded their attendance at the Scientific Writing Academy (SWA) run at the Mario Negri Institute in Italy; this was co-supported by the Fondazione della Comunità Bergamasca and Fluorseals SPA.
From 2017 onwards, ISN organizes its own Scientific Writing Academy.
The goal of the academy is to help physicians and researchers from a range of backgrounds and specializations fine-tune their writing skills in order to give them the tools to publish high quality papers in top international journals. Achieving and maintaining high standards in science writing is crucial to advancing research as much as sharing,
Course Format and Program
The ISN SWA is a 3 to 5 days course given by experts in the field of scientific writing to Medical/Biomedical/PhD students (or equivalent) to improve their scientific writing skills.
English-based tutorials will be delivered by a group of international and local expert scientists.
The course consists of a series of lectures, workshops and panel discussions. The course will help physicians and researchers from a range of backgrounds and specializations fine-tune their writing skills.
Fifteen to twenty participants/year will be accepted for each ISN SWA.
Applicants Eligibility criteria
The course is open to ISN members who:
• are young scientists (age <40y) and work predominantly in clinical research (ie health research requiring approval from a human ethics board) and basic research
• are able to initiate research and conduct research
• have at least one manuscript published in a peer reviewed journal, or who have other indicators of high potential in clinical research
• are demonstrably motivated to improve their scientific writing skills
Seats are limited to 20 participants. Priority will be given to those who are from the country and the ISN region where the ISN SWA is organized.
The 2017 Scientific Writing Academy will be held from 25 until 27 May 2017 in Bangalore, India!
This first ISN SWA is sponsored by the ISN-ANIO.
The following annual SWAs are to rotate to other regions of the world.
Priority is given to applicants from India and the South Asia region.
What does the ISN cover?
- ISN covers the lessons, accommodation and meals. These are arranged by ISN.
- ISN will reimburse economy airfare and airport transfers for a maximum of $500 USD based on the geographic location of the successful applicants.
After attending the ISN SWA, ISN participants are asked to submit online a 1 page report of their experience (with photos if possible) via the online form here.
How to apply?
Application submission is closed. Submission deadline was 15 February 2017.
Applications are being reviewed and scored by the Clinical Research Committee with representatives from the local (host) organization.. Applicants will be notified about the outcome of their application end of March 2017.
Any question? Please email us at email@example.com