ISN-PKDF Webinar: Equity in ADPKD: Bridging Gaps for Better Patient Outcomes
- 4:00 PM CET
This educational webinar aims to explore the significant impact of health disparities on the outcomes for patients with Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease (ADPKD). Health disparities, often driven by socioeconomic, racial, and geographic factors, play a crucial role in shaping the progression of ADPKD and its associated complications. Through a comprehensive examination of current research and case studies, this webinar will delve into the multifaceted nature of health disparities in ADPKD and discuss strategies to address these disparities for improved patient outcomes.
- Recognize factors that can interact and influence disease progression, treatment outcomes, and quality of life for ADPKD patients.
- Describe specific areas where health disparities manifest in the context of ADPKD, such as delayed diagnosis, variations in treatment access, and disparities in kidney transplantation rates.
- Identify actionable steps that healthcare providers, researchers, policymakers, and patient advocates can take to mitigate the impact of health disparities on ADPKD outcomes.
- Aung, Thet T.; Bhandari, Simran K.; Chen, Qiaoling; Malik, Fatima T; Willey, Cynthia J.; Reynolds, Kristi; Jacobsen, Steven J.; Sim, John J.. Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease Prevalence among a Racially Diverse United States Population, 2002 through 2018. Kidney360 2(12):p 2010-2015, December 2021. | DOI: 10.34067/KID.0004522021
- Clark-Cutaia, Maya N.a; Rivera, Eleanorb; Iroegbu, Christinc; Squires, Allisond. Disparities in chronic kidney disease-the state of the evidence. Current Opinion in Nephrology and Hypertension 30(2):p 208-214, March 2021. | DOI: 10.1097/MNH.0000000000000688
- McGill, Rita L.; Saunders, Milda R.; Hayward, Alexandra L.; Chapman, Arlene B.. Health Disparities in Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease (ADPKD) in the United States. CJASN 17(7):p 976-985, July 2022. | DOI: 10.2215/CJN.00840122
- Mohottige, Dinushika; McElroy, Lisa M.; Boulware, L. Ebony. Addressing “Second Hits” in the Pursuit of Greater Equity in Health Outcomes for Individuals with ADPKD. CJASN 17(7):p 936-938, July 2022. | DOI: 10.2215/CJN.05970522
- Murphy EL, Dai F, Blount KL, Droher ML, Liberti L, Crews DC, Dahl NK. Revisiting racial differences in ESRD due to ADPKD in the United States. BMC Nephrol. 2019 Feb 14;20(1):55. doi: 10.1186/s12882-019-1241-1. PMID: 30764782; PMCID: PMC6376748.
- Nicholas, S. B., Kalantar-Zadeh, K., & Norris, K. C. (2015, January). Socioeconomic Disparities in Chronic Kidney Disease. Advances in Chronic Kidney Disease, 22(1), 6–15. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.ackd.2014.07.0
- Norton JM, Moxey-Mims MM, Eggers PW, Narva AS, Star RA, Kimmel PL, Rodgers GP. Social Determinants of Racial Disparities in CKD. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2016 Sep;27(9):2576-95. doi: 10.1681/ASN.2016010027. Epub 2016 May 13. PMID: 27178804; PMCID: PMC5004663.
- Social determinants of kidney disease. National Kidney Foundation. (2022, April 6). https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/kidneydiscauses
- Vanholder R, Annemans L, Braks M, Brown EA, Pais P, Purnell TS, Sawhney S, Scholes-Robertson N, Stengel B, Tannor EK, Tesar V, van der Tol A, Luyckx VA. Inequities in kidney health and kidney care. Nat Rev Nephrol. 2023 Aug 14. doi: 10.1038/s41581-023-00745-6. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 37580571.
Maria Ferris (USA)
Sambhavi Krishnamoorthy (USA)
Funke Ojuri (USA)