ISN to Support and Attend AFRAN-AFPNA 2021 Joint Congressjbrown
The joint African Association of Nephrology – African Paediatric Nephrology Association (AFRAN/AFPNA) 2021 Congress will be held in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, with the theme ‘Advocacy for Management of Kidney Diseases in Africa.’
The Société Ivoirienne de Néphrologie (S.I.NEPH) is hosting the 16th AFRAN– AFPNA congress on the occasion of its 5th national congress, from December 7-10, 2021.
The ISN is supporting several speakers at the event:
December 6, 8 a.m.-6:30 p.m.
French CME Course AFRAN, SINEPH, PASCAR, SFAD Hypertension, Diabetes, Kidney disease: The New Pandemic in Africa
- ISN Africa Regional Board and AFRAN Scientific Committee/Council member Faiçal Jarraya: ‘Rôle des différents intervenants dans la prise en charge de l’HTA, Diabète et maladie CVR’ and ‘Réflexions à propos de l’expérience Tunisienne’
8 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
Renal Pathology Course Organized by AFRAN/ISN: Building a Renal Pathology Program in Africa: First Steps
- ISN Renal Pathology Working Group Chair and AFRAN Renal Pathology Committee Chair Wesam Ismail is organizing this pre-conference course
French CNE Course Organized by AFRAN/SFNDT
- ISN Africa Regional Board member Boucar Diouf: ‘la dynamique des écoles de néphrologie en Afrique francophone’
December 8, 6-8 p.m.
- ISN President Agnes Fogo will provide the opening message and introduce the award ceremony
- ISN Africa Regional Board Chair Gloria Ashuntantang will highlight Dazé Appolinaire’s achievements
- Dazé Apollinaire Gnionsahe (Cote d’Ivoire) will speak
ISN Breakfast Session (in French): ISN and ISN Programs
- ISN Grants and Education Director Sophie Dupuis will outline ISN’s educational projects and capacity building opportunities in Africa
Session 2: ISN Session
- ISN President Agnes Fogo and Africa Regional Board Chair Gloria Ashuntantang: ‘ISN for Africa: hand in hand for improving nephrology care in Africa’
- ISN President Agnes Fogo: ‘Progressive Glomerulosclerosis: The vicious cycle includes the tubulointerstitium
- Past President Vivekanand Jha: ‘Slow or stop CKD progression: from bench to bedside’
11 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Session 6: 2021 Up-to-Date Session: The Kidney Involvement in Systemic Diseases
- ISN Africa Regional Board member and AFRAN Treasurer Mohamed Hani Hafez: ‘HCV-related glomerulonephritis’
Session 7: How to Treat Glomerular Disease in 2021 (with support from KDIGO)
- ISN and AFRAN Council member Ifeoma Ulasi: scientific talk on FSGS
- Faiçal Jarraya: ‘Antihypertensive treatment for dialysis patients’
11 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Session 13: Lessons from COVID-19 Epidemic in Nephrology Field
- Africa Regional Board Chair Gloria Ashuntantang: ‘Management of COVID-19 patients in dialysis units’
Session 17: Controversy Session
- Faiçal Jarraya – ‘Should RAS blockers always be used in CKD 4-5? Cons’
In addition to the congress program, an AFRAN – ISN Advocacy Roundtable will be held on December 11, from 8-9.30 a.m. GMT, moderated by Hubert Yao (congress president) and Abdou Niang (AFRAN acting president).
Saraladevi Naicker: ‘Epidemic CKD Situation Now and in the Coming Years’
Faiçal Jarraya: ‘Why Emphasize Kidney Prevention in Africa?’
Professor Ifeoma Ulasi: ‘Kidney Health In Africa: The Needs’
Paul Laffin: ‘Key Advocacy Opportunities to Tackle Kidney Health Challenges
Discussion: Drafting an Abidjan Declaration for Use in Future Advocacy Activity and Development into a Published Article in a Journal