ISN Joins Call for Action to EU Commissioner Ms Stella Kyriakides to Reduce the Burden of CKDmmilanese
As part of the European Kidney Health Alliance (EKHA), ISN supports its Call to Action to:
- Develop an EU working group (facilitated by EKHA) that will collaborate to design a plan (to be adopted by the EU Commission before the next European elections) to reduce the burden of CKD for patients and society by:
- Awareness by education (prevention) and screening.
- Better disease management, by facilitating home dialysis and research for new approaches to retard the development of CKD.
- Funding for ground breaking innovations in Kidney Replacement Therapies allowing to prolong the survival of Kidney Patients significantly while improving their quality of life.
- Endorse a second EU Action Plan on Organ Donation and Transplantation as a logical sequel of the EKHA joint statement on this topic submitted to the European Commission in January 2020.
- Endorse the Decade of the Kidney initiative (in particular on March 11, World Kidney Day). EKHA is at this moment building a strong collaboration that is focussed on lowering the socio-economic burden of CKD and create awareness for CKD as a neglected disease, because while lifesaving, dialysis is not the optimal therapy as it remains associated with high mortality, provides a relatively poor quality of life and is exceedingly expensive. We need better, more patient centred and innovative therapies which also need to be financially more sustainable. The Decade of the Kidney unites patients, doctors & innovators and hopefully politician’s worldwide to accomplish this complex joint goal.